From: Corentin Chary <corentin.chary@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] RFC: upstream/watch in metadata.xml
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 09:33:55
1 As some may know, I'm working on euscan, and currently euscan only use
2 CPV and SRC_URI to find new upstream versions.
3 This works well if upstream url and version scheme is sane or if
4 upstream has an API for that (rubygem, pypi, pecl, pear), but it's far
5 from optimal.
6
7 Debian use a specific file for that: debian/watch and it looks like
8 that (for media-plugins/vdr-softdevice):
9
10 opts=downloadurlmangle=s/prdownload/download/ \
11 http://developer.berlios.de/project/showfiles.php?group_id=2051 \
12 http://prdownload.berlios.de/softdevice/vdr-softdevice-(.+).tgz
13
14 opts specify some options to mangle the final url, and then there is a
15 list of url to scan. man uscan for more informations.
16
17 Currently, if you run euscan on this package, it doesn't work at all:
18 http://euscan.iksaif.net/package/media-plugins/vdr-softdevice/
19 1/ it's hosted on gentoo mirrors, and scanning them takes too long
20 because all files are in the same directory
21 2/ the url doesn't contain the version
22
23 So, to help euscan (and other tools) for some package, I think we
24 could introduce some hints in metadata.xml. This would extend the
25 existing "upstream" element:
26
27 <upstream>
28 <version-scan downloadurlmangle="s/prdownload/download/">http://developer.berlios.de/project/showfiles.php?group_id=2051
29 \
30 http://prdownload.berlios.de/softdevice/vdr-softdevice-(.+).tgz</version-scan>
31 </upstream>
32
33 The format is not defined yet, but it would probably look like
34 debian/watch, that would allow to write a script to import (valid)
35 debian/watch files into associated metadata.xml when needed.
36
37 One other thing, metadata.xml already contain a remote-id tag, which
38 would be very great to help euscan do its job, but a lot of package
39 are lacking it:
40 - Should we patch repoman to scan SRC_URI and issue a warning when it
41 looks like an URI that match a well known remote-id
42 - Should we write a script to update metadata.xml ? It would be easy
43 for rubygem, pypi and pear packages.
44
45 Any comment ? Objections ? Ideas ?
46