From: Georgi Georgiev <chutz@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Creating a dedicated gentoo profile for commercial mysql support
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2005 03:37:35
1 maillog: 22/04/2005-15:18:31(-0700): Matthew Marlowe types
2 >
3 > PROPOSAL:
4 > --------------------
5 > Creation of a "commercial/amd64/mysql" profile under
6 > /usr/portage/profiles. The directory structure is setup so that any
7 > other developers could create dedicated profiles for similiar
8 > commercial support w/o cluttering up the tree. Everything would be
9 > under /usr/portage/profiles/commercial.
10 >
11 > I would initially use default-linux/amd64/2005.0/no-multilib as the
12 > base for modification as this is what I currently use on our servers.
13 >
14 > After submitting the new profile and testing it, I would create online
15 > documentation that both gentoo and mysql could reference to and
16 > provide ongoing maintenance for the profile- but would avoid making
17 > any significant changes other than at 6-12 month intervals.
18 >
19 > As for the mysql installation itself on these boxes, these would be
20 > binaries provided by mysql for two reasons:
21 >
22 > 1) Mysql binaries are compiled with icc which could provide
23 > significant performance gains for the targeted user base. Untill icc
24 > is fully compatible with portage, I'd rather avoid installing icc
25 > myself on customer boxes.
26
27 Are you sure you didn't miss something here? icc and amd64?
30 *> Georgi Georgiev *> You cannot use your friends and have them *>
31 <* chutz@×××.net <* too. <*
32 *> +81(90)2877-8845 *> *>
33 --
34 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list