From: "Hastings
To: "'gentoo-dev@g.o'" <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] portage packages for download?
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2002 11:05:11
1 Hello,
2 I've been using slackware 8 for some time and have recently been playing
3 around with various distributions (suse 7.3, redhat 7.2, etc...).
4
5 I've been following progress of your project and with this new release am
6 very excited!
7
8 My problem is that my current ISP availability doesn't afford a straight PPP
9 dialup, and I can't do that with work, either. Consequently, I haven't
10 upgraded my modem at home to a linux compatible modem.
11
12 Now, I have a high speed connection at work and could download an ISO, and
13 would like to do so for the base installation.
14
15 The question I have is this - is there any way to download the portage
16 packages/tarballs and install them from a cd? If this isn't an option, then
17 I'm not going to be able to try this for some time.
18
19 I love slackware, but I'm constantly spending hours weeding through packages
20 that I have no need for, and compiling and re-compiling kernels. Your
21 method of WHOLLY configured for MY system would be much preferred.
22
23 If you can offer assisstance in this area in the form of direction to a
24 mirror to access these files, it would be most appreciated.
25
26 Thanks!
27 Ben Hastings
28 CPM/Software Test Analyst