From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: pr <pr@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: News item for default-linux removal (bug #287976)
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 17:52:29
1 On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 8:49 AM, Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o> wrote:
2 > Samuli Suominen wrote:
3 >> For http://bugs.gentoo.org/287976, A news item:
4 >> Would this work?
5 >
6 > -- cut --
7 >
8 > Title: Usage of default-linux as profile is obsolete
9 > Author: Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
10 > Content-Type: text/plain
11 > Posted: 2009-10-21
12 > Revision: 1
13 > News-Item-Format: 1.0
14 > Display-If-Profile: default-linux
15 >
16 > The profiles in default-linux/ have been deprecated for a while now, and
17 > you have been seeing a message of profile switching when using emerge.
18
19 The profiles in default-linux/ have been deprecated for six weeks.
20 Users using these profiles are expected to migrate to a new profile
21 before 2009-12-01, at which point the default-linux/ profiles will be
22 removed. The new profiles contain up to date configurations and were
23 adopted because they were easier to maintain. Users can switch to a
24 new profile using eselect:
27 > # eselect profile list
28 > # eselect profile set <target>
29 >
30 > If you don't follow this message, the emerge will simply stop working
31 > until you do.
32
33 If a machine is not migrated to a new valid profile then emerge will
34 have very limited functionality.
37 > This change was made to ease maintenance.
38
39 I reworded this and moved it near the top.
42 > -- cut --
43 >
44 > Added some remarks from antarus.
48 I'm trying to avoid using 'you' in the announcement which is why all
49 the rewording.
50
51 -A