From: "Bruce A. Locke" <blocke@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] pam 0.75-r3...
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 02:38:23
1 PAM in Gentoo is currently undergoing a revamp. PAM 0.75-r3 is masked
2 out and for very good reason, currently passwd is broken and it has
3 received little testing. Don't play with it unless you know how to work
4 single user mode. ;)
5
6 PAM 0.75-r3 contains over 50 patches from Redhat to PAM 0.75 and
7 includes pam_stack and pam_console.
8
9 All entries in /etc/pam.d need to be converted to use pam_stack _after_
10 Pam 0.75-r4 is out (which will be the first unmasked with pam_stack) and
11 tested to make sure they work. The old pam.d files should continue to
12 work fine until they are updated. Pam 0.75-r4 should be out tomorrow
13 (assuming I find out why passwd is messing up and I get positive
14 feedback from developers)
15
16 Several pam.d files need to be removed from the pam package and moved
17 into the appropriate packages and the shadow package needs to be updated
18 to remove its version of /etc/login.access. Also, I imagine there are a
19 few packages that use pam that don't install pam.d files. If you spot
20 any pam.d files that need to be updated, etc after 0.75-r4 is out please
21 don't be afraid to fix it or at the very least file a bug report with
22 [PAM] in its title... one of us trained monkeys will answer your report
23 in the order it was received... erm... *cough* ;)
24
25 pam_console use in login, etc is currently disabled because
26 /etc/security/console.perms needs to be updated to make it devfs
27 friendly. (pam_console is the part of pam that chmod's stuff like the
28 sound device files, etc to the person logged into the actual physical
29 console). Anyone who knows devfs well want to volunteer? :)
33 Bruce A. Locke
34 blocke@××××××.org