From: "Carnevale
To: "'gentoo-dev@g.o'" <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] FW: [gentoo-user] emerge update --world - solution
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2002 16:13:47
1 -----Original Message-----
2 From: Carnevale, Jason [mailto:jcarnevale@×××××××.net]
3 Sent: Monday, April 01, 2002 2:07 PM
4 To: 'gentoo-user@g.o'
5 Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] emerge update --world - solution
6
7 I have portage 1.8.8 installed, since that shows up as the latest version
8 available with emerge I will assume that it is masked ( I will confirm
9 this). I am able to do a world update using " emerge --world update" using
10 --pretend gives me a nice list of things that need updating. Since this is
11 an older portage the /var/cache/edb/world file is not there. I am trying to
12 find the file my version of protage is using to determine what is installed
13 in the system. I want to lock a few packages at the version they are at and
14 install the rest. How can I do this with 1.8.8, without going to 1.8.9,
15 problem with upgrading portage first is that it will not create a world file
16 based on what I have installed prior to going to 1.8.9.
17
18 Thanks,
19
20 Jason
23 -----Original Message-----
24 From: Ian Smith [mailto:ian.c.smith@××××××××××.com]
25 Sent: Monday, April 01, 2002 12:37 PM
26 To: gentoo-user@g.o
27 Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge update --world - solution
28
29 Thilo Bangert wrote:
30 >>
31 > no - but portage 1.8.9 uses a different (far supirior) method of
32 > determing world updates...
33 >
34 > when you install a package the package gets added to a file storing all
35 > locally installed packages... emerge then goes through this list to
36 > determine what packages should be updated, when doing emerge --update
37 > world
38 > as you have not installed any packages using the new portage, the list
39 > is empty an thus there is nothing to update
40 >
41 > the correct method for my hack would be to write a converter script,
42 > which builds the new world-update database from the already installed
43 > packages... i'll have a look at that later today...
46 I did:
47 pkglist >/var/cache/edb/world
48 but still get nothing to upgrade.
49
50 BTW the portage guide is still inconsistent regarding whether world or
51 update gets the '--' !!!!
55 Ian Smith
57
59 gentoo-user mailing list