From: AllenJB <gentoo-lists@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [Gentoo Phoenix] an official Gentoo wiki
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2010 15:13:32
1 On 04/04/10 15:47, Dror Levin wrote:
2 > Creating just another wiki is what's pointless. What I want is to
3 > deprecate all unofficial wikis (there are others besides
4 > gentoo-wiki.com) which were created simply because there never was an
5 > official one and creating chaos, then centralize everything in one
6 > official wiki, and build on top of that. Fix the historic mistake.
7 > Concentrating information from the forums and various wikis is just
8 > the first step.
9 > This should be the goal of all of us, yours as well. Who wants to run
10 > around all over the internet trying to find relevant information on
11 > various forums, wikis, blogs, etc. when an official wiki can remedy a
12 > big part of that, making it easier to find what you're searching for.
13 > Instead of being scattered around, we want everything in one place,
14 > that's how it can be made even better.
15 >
16 > Dror Levin
17 >
18 The unofficial wiki may have been created because there wasn't an
19 official one, but that doesn't mean it's any less of a community in its
20 own right.
21
22 Starting the official wiki by effectively ripping off others work and
23 attempting to destroy existing user communities is NOT the right way to
24 go about things, in my opinion (and losing the editing history of those
25 articles in the process).
26
27 You should first try to start your wiki/community and make it a
28 community in its own right, rather than trying to steal/destroy/rip off
29 existing communities.
30
31 My personal goal is to continue to maintain an existing community full
32 of useful documentation, already concentrated in one place. The
33 unofficial wiki avoids duplication by pointing to existing documentation
34 where ever possible.
35
36 The search problem is already dealt with by Google, so that's no reason
37 to go about ripping off other peoples work.
38
39 With your aims in mind, I don't see the point in duplicating existing
40 material, creating TWO places you have to check to see what's been updated.
41
42 If an "official wiki" starts up and becomes a major documentation centre
43 for user contributions, then I may consider moving my articles over, but
44 until that time I currently intend to maintain them in place, with their
45 complete history in tact.
46
47 AllenJB