From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] About reversion of last pulseaudio ebuild change
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2014 19:21:08
1 On Fri, Dec 5, 2014 at 2:02 PM, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
2 >>>>>> On Fri, 5 Dec 2014, Andrew Savchenko wrote:
3 >
4 >> If GLEP doesn't reflect current best practices maybe this is a good
5 >> time to supersede it with a new one?
6 >
7 > Not this again, please. :( The GLEP outlines the framework under which
8 > QA operates, but there is no need to codify every detail in a GLEP
9 > (which is somewhat hard to change).
10 >
11 > In fact, the QA team has its own internal policy document:
12 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Quality_Assurance/Policies#Communication_When_Making_Fixes
13 > If something should be missing there, we are certainly open for
14 > additions or changes.
17 ++
18
19 The GLEP should give QA reasonably wide discretion to act when it
20 feels it is an emergency. It shouldn't spell out every detail of how
21 they operate. View it like a "grant of authority" or "charter" in a
22 company.
23
24 QA should of course try to work with maintainers and communicate with
25 them as quickly as it can under the circumstances. Not everything
26 should be treated as an emergency.
27
28 It sounds like the policy already is to communicate when making
29 changes (either before or after the fact depending on severity). If
30 it wasn't followed, well, let's try to follow it next time. As long
31 as it isn't a regular thing I don't know that it has to go further
32 than that (we have QA because all of us make mistakes, and I'm sure QA
33 will make mistakes as well). If it is a regular thing by all means
34 feel free to escalate it.
37 Rich