From: Christian Faulhammer <fauli@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: New eselect news item for X11 on alphas
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 07:18:06
1 Hi,
2
3 Tobias Klausmann <klausman@g.o>:
4 > As for my news item, what I'm not entirely sure about are the
5 > Displa-If- headers (What I'm aiming for is to reach people who have
6 > installed *either* xorg-x11 (and thus -server) or just xorg-server on
7 > any alpha profile) Also, the last paragraph might reek a bit of
8 > politics, but I'm quite comfortable with placing pressure on the Xorg
9 > guys via users.
10
11 According to GLEP 42:
12 "The algorithm used to determine whether a news item is 'relevant' is as
13 follows:
14
15 * For each Display-If- header type which occurs at least once:
16 ** The news item is not relevant if none of the headers of this type
17 are successfully matched.
18 * Otherwise the news item is relevant."
19
20 I understand it like a OR match for every type, which are linked by
21 AND.
22
23 > Display-If-Profile: default-linux/alpha
24 > Display-If-Profile: default/linux/alpha
25
26 There is also Display-If-Keyword (for the sake of completeness
27 in this post).
28
29 > Recent versions of xorg's X11 require kernel support to access PCI and
30 > AGP graphic cards. This support has only recently been added to the
31 > Linux kernel (vanilla-sources-2.6.30 and gentoo-sources-2.6.29-r5).
32
33 Add sys-kernel/ categories, please.
34
35 > Furthermore, not all graphics card drivers have been updated to work
36 > with the newer X server API. One example is the glint driver used for
37 > Permedia cards. The upstream developers have been informed about this,
38 > but nothing has happened so far.
39
40 "...but no fixes are available yet, please see <upstream bug>."
41
42 Maybe you could mention the 1.5 upgrade guide again.
43
44 V-Li
47 Christian Faulhammer, Gentoo Lisp project
48 <URL:http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/lisp/>, #gentoo-lisp on FreeNode
49
50 <URL:http://gentoo.faulhammer.org/>