From: George Prowse <george.prowse@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [warning] the bug queue has 118 bugs
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2010 23:15:13
1 On 28/12/2010 21:11, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 1:51 PM, Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o
3 > <mailto:jer@g.o>> wrote:
4 >
5 > On Fri, 17 Dec 2010 23:31:28 +0100
6 > Maciej Mrozowski <reavertm@×××××.com <mailto:reavertm@×××××.com>>
7 > wrote:
8 >
9 > > Well, before I became developer, I had a quite unproductive
10 > > discussion on IRC with Jeroen on that matter (jer opting for status
11 > > quo and telling me I have no idea what bug wrangling is :P)
12 >
13 > I have no idea what you are talking about.
16 > I'd like to turn this discussion into a more productive direction
17 > (let's wrangle bugs, and not argue over who said what to who when).
18 >
19 > First, I'd like to say thanks to those who put a great deal of care
20 > into bug-wrangling, and I think all will agree that Jer does a LOT in
21 > this regard. It is very clear to me that when bugs get assigned to me
22 > that they've generally been well-triaged and I'm sure that a lot of
23 > cruft gets pruned before I even get an email.
24 >
25 > That said, part of me wants to think aloud about whether we're
26 > over-investing in triaging bugs in the queue and this is leading to
27 > the queue getting out of hand. The problem I see with our current
28 > bug-wrangling procedures (as documented on the official site) is that
29 > they seem a bit daunting to me. I see this problem at work all the
30 > time - procedures that are very complex either need to be an assigned
31 > job, or they need to be simplified. If they remain complex but
32 > free-for-all then nobody wants to touch them, since nobody gets yelled
33 > at individually if they don't step in, but if they step in and mess up
34 > suddenly they have egg on their face.
35 >
36 > Something that might help would be a "one touch" bug queue (think
37 > Getting Things Done). Wrangler looks at bug, and bug ends up in one
38 > of two categories IMMEDIATELY:
39 > 1. Bug has required info and can be assigned to a maintainer. Go
40 > ahead and assign.
41 > 2. Bug is missing required info or seems vague. Immediately add a
42 > comment stating what is needed, with link to website with bug
43 > submission procedure that wasn't followed, and resolve invalid.
44 > Comment should welcome submitter to re-open with the required info.
45 >
46 > This gets stale bugs out of the queue without a lot of fuss. It also
47 > means that everything in the queue needs attention and nobody spends
48 > time reading a bug just to find out that it is stuck and needs no
49 > attention by a wrangler.
50 >
51 > Also - I think we need to make other forms of triage a best-effort
52 > sort of activity. If a wrangler wants to try to triage a bug they
53 > should be welcome to try. If a wrangler notices a dup, they are
54 > welcome to handle accordingly. If a wrangler misses a dup or doesn't
55 > do triage, that is fine too, as long as they either resolve invalid or
56 > assign. That does mean a bit more bugspam for downstream devs, but it
57 > is pretty easy for me to spot dups for the packages I'm most familiar
58 > with, and it is much harder for a wrangler to spot them across the
59 > entire tree.
60 >
61 > The overall goal is to make wrangling simple, but still a value-add.
62 > We can leave room for those who want to do more. If we end up with a
63 > big pool of serious wranglers they can just post on -dev saying that
64 > they've got things under control and then those less serious about it
65 > can step out and allow for more triage. When the wranglers get
66 > underwater everybody else can step in and quickly clean up.
67 >
68 > I guess the question is whether the resulting shorter queue and lower
69 > latency is worth the tradeoff in having package maintainers get a few
70 > extra bugs that might have been avoided in triage. I'd be interested
71 > in Jer's perspective on how many bugs get squashed during triage.
72 >
73 > Thoughts?
74 >
75 > Rich
76
77 If it was just a case of checking if the right info was there then it
78 could be done by a few reasonably-Gentoo-savvy volunteers who check the
79 list a couple of times a day. Otherwise you're pretty much adding in
80 just another step in the process which seems like the opposite of what
81 you are trying to accomplish.
82
83 G