From: Robin Rowe <rower@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Boot after installation doesn't
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 15:44:18
1 Hi. I am installing Gentoo for the first time.
2
3 The installation goes off without a hitch until I try to reboot. First boot
4 from the hard drive hangs the machine hard with a rapidly repeating loader
5 error message -- either L 02 or GRUB repeating over and over again depending
6 upon which boot loader I install. I have several other Linux distros running
7 fine loaded on other drives (on rails) on this machine.
8
9 I asked for help on the gentoo users list first, but the suggestions I
10 received lacked insight and had me trying things at random. That didn't
11 work, and as a developer (on another project) just doesn't feel right to me.
12 I want to understand what's wrong, not just have the problem magically go
13 away. I followed your installation directions very carefully and went
14 through the (long) installation process twice -- starting over with
15 reformatting the drive.
16
17 When it boots from the hard drive I get "GRUB GRUB GRUB" and so forth.
18 Booting GRUB from floppy gets farther, but kernel panics when it tries to
19 mount root:
20
21 grub> kernel (hd0,0)/bzImage root=/dev/hda3
22 grub> boot
23 ... loads kernel and drivers ok ...
24 Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:03
25
26 Here's my hard disk GRUB setup:
27
28 grub> root (hd0,0)
29 grub> setup (hd0)
30
31 And contents of /boot/grub/grub.conf:
32
33 default 0
34 timeout 30
35 splashimage=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
36 title=Gentoo Linux
37 root (hd0,0)
38 kernel (hd0,0)/bzImage root=/dev/hda3
39
40 Partitions:
41
42 /dev/hda1 100MB boot ext3
43 /dev/hda2 512MB swap
44 /dev/hda3 4GB root reiserfs
45
46 There's nothing else on the drive. I physically swap out drives (on rails)
47 to boot the other distros.
48
49 Has ext3 and reiserfs and the other items mentioned in the install
50 instructions built into kernel (not modules).
51
52 It seems that I have not installed the boot loader correctly, but how could
53 I make the same mistake with both LILO and GRUB? I would suspect the drive
54 itself, but the partitions mount just fine when booting from CD. Is there
55 anything left to try besides installing on a completely different drive?
56
57 Insights?
58
59 Thanks,