From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: bash version in ebuilds/eclasses...non-compliance and what to do?
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 05:43:54
1 Jeremy Olexa wrote:
2
3 > This causes me pain on my hosts that don't have >=bash-3.1[0] for
4 > /bin/bash. Because I can't install portage with an old bash until I
5 > get a new python installed which uses python.eclass which isn't
6 > supported with my /bin/bash (quite circular indeed)
7 >
8 > Technically there are workarounds for me...but it is still annoying.
9 > So...what do we do? A) Specifically allow >=bash-3.1 features in
10 > ebuilds/eclasses. or B) revert the commit because the PMS says[1] that
11 > we comply with >bash-3.0
12 >
13 > Please discuss, thanks.
14
15 I'd vote for updating the spec; it's going to be a pita trying to maintain
16 the tree without +=. From our discussion, you said it was fine for prefix
17 to specify a minimum version of bash for bootstrap, but clearly that can't
18 be 3.1 when the draft PMS says 3.0.
19
20 I note that bash-3.2_p17-r1 is stable on all the architectures that 3.0-r12
21 lists (it just adds the two -fbsd archs as unstable.) portage-2.1.4.5
22 requires at least that version (only unstable on mips as against 2.1.1-r2)
23 It might be worth skipping to 3.2, since that would simplify regex handling.
24
25 Not sure how that should be framed, or when it's okay to do it; clearly a
26 spec has to be updatable, whether it's by a specified policy, or
27 explicitly.