From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: useflag policies
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2015 08:08:07
1 Sergey Popov posted on Tue, 11 Aug 2015 15:58:49 +0300 as excerpted:
2
3 > 11.08.2015 15:30, Michael Palimaka пишет:
4 >> On 11/08/15 20:10, Sergey Popov wrote:
5 >>> Err, i have read the whole thread and still does not get a point, why
6 >>> i am wrong.
7 >>
8 >> You clearly have not. The reasoning behind Qt team's policy is
9 >> described on the page and has been reiterated on this list. You are
10 >> undermining what little confidence there is in the QA team by making
11 >> decisions with no consultation about problems you do not understand.
12 >>
13 >>> It's old battle like we have beforce with "gtk" meaning "any versions
14 >>> of GTK flag". This behaviour should be killed with fire.
15 >>>
16 >>> Let's me reiterate some of the cases:
17 >>>
18 >>> 1. Package can be build without Qt GUI at all, but either Qt4 or Qt5
19 >>> can be chosen, but not both.
20 >>>
21 >>> Fix this with REQUIRED_USE, do not enable any of Qt flags by default
22 >>
23 >> Problem: this requires manual intervention if the user has both qt4 and
24 >> qt5 USE flags enabled.
27 > User choice of using USE flags is NOT a problem
28
29 [As has been said elsewhere in the thread but you apparently haven't
30 seen...]
31
32 But if the profile enables both qt4 and qt5, as at least one profile, the
33 new plasma (aka kde5) profile does, and really must?
34
35 The desktop profile enables qt4. The plasma profile inherits qt4 from
36 there and enables qt5, so both are enabled.
37
38 And because kde5 is an incremental switchover that still includes many
39 kde4-based apps, some of which likely have deps that need qt4 in the USE
40 flags and users likely still want it enabled in any case, it's not as
41 simple as disabling the qt4 USE flag in the plasma profile, either.
42
43 Furthermore, as qt5 matures and more apps base on it, it's likely that qt5
44 will need enabled in the desktop profile as well, well before qt4 can be
45 conveniently disabled.
46
47 So there's some users now, the ones using the plasma profile, and will
48 soon be very many users, anyone using a desktop-inheriting profile, that
49 will have and arguably need, both qt4 and qt5 enabled.
50
51 You're really saying that *all* of them should be forced to deal with
52 dozens of package-specific package.use settings, to negate the effects of
53 REQUIRED_USE when both qt4 and qt5 are enabled in their gentoo-shipped
54 profile?
55
56 This is why it's a problem. If it were just the people that specifically
57 set both qt4 and qt5 in make.conf. it'd be a much smaller problem and
58 could perhaps be simply ignored as a user-created problem. But when it's
59 the default setting in all desktop profiles, as it's very likely to be
60 within a year, it's no longer simply a user-created problem.
61
62 [Personally, I both run with USE="-* ..." and started trying qt5 and kde5/
63 plasma back when they were both still in the overlay, so I've long since
64 worked out the biggest such problems here. I didn't complain as it's
65 simply part of both trying things that far ahead and specifying that I
66 /want/ the choice and will deal with the consequences of such things by
67 setting USE=-*. But it'd be very nice if our stable desktop users didn't
68 have to go thru the same thing I did, once they get plasma5, just because
69 they use a desktop profile.]
74 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman