From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Bugzilla handling for maintainer-wanted things
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 08:56:13
1 On Sat, 2005-08-20 at 19:42 -0400, Nathan L. Adams wrote:
2 [snip]
3 > What I see with Gentoo is this 'cathedral' being built where only those
4 > folks who have been 'approved' or 'blessed' as being l33t enough are
5 > allowed to review the code and actually cause a positive change when
6 > some bug is found.
7 So you want to give every user who asks for it full CVS access?
8 Uhm ...
9
10 > If you believe Chris Gianelloni's argument, then only
11 > those blessed developers who are also blessed by a particular group
12 > within Gentoo are allowed. Eventually the meritocracy degrades into a
13 > popularity contest.
14 Nonsense.
15 Every person that shows dedication and some basic skills can become
16 developer
17 If you want to argue for the fun of it, go debian yourself ;-)
18 > What I want is for Gentoo to be more of a 'bazaar' where anyone with a
19 > good idea gets listened to and anyone with a good patch gets their name
20 > in the credits
21 Isn't that already what is done?
22 Every good patch/bugfix will be assimilated if it does something useful
23 in an understandable way ...
24 > Yes this is a volanteer distribution. That's a blessing, not a curse!
25 > That means that you DON'T HAVE DEADLINES. You can take the time to do it
26 > right instead of just 'code it up, test it once, and pray it really works'.
27 Yes, so please shut up and let us do our thing ;-)
28
29 wkr,
30 Patrick
31 --
32 Stand still, and let the rest of the universe move