From: Ole Markus With <olemarkus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Use of use.mask
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2011 18:48:54
1 Hi all,
2
3 I was thinking of adding SVN snapshot ebuilds of PHP to the tree.
4 Ebuilds for PHP extensions use USE_EXPAND to decide which slots (and
5 thus, which ABIs) of PHP the extension should be built for, much like
6 ruby does. A new USE_EXPAND USE flag should therefore be added for the
7 SVN snapshot slot. The problem is that the ABI is not stable and should
8 only be used by people who 'know what they are doing', and the snapshot
9 ebuilds will probably always be without keywords. This will cause some
10 dependency problems.
11
12 The only solution I could think of would be to add this new USE flag to
13 use.mask. But as far as I could tell, use.mask is meant for masking USE
14 flags that do not work on certain architectures etc. It is also a bit
15 tricky for users to unmask USE flags.
16
17 Is this still the best way to do this? Or are there any better ways that
18 I did not think of?
19
20 Cheers,
21 Ole Markus