From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Allow variable refs in HOMEPAGE
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2017 20:56:35
1 On Thu, Aug 3, 2017 at 11:54 AM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 > On czw, 2017-08-03 at 11:33 -0400, Mike Gilbert wrote:
3 >> I would like to remove the ban on variable references in the HOMEPAGE
4 >> variable in ebuilds.
5 >>
6 >> As I understand it, this ban was put in place so that people can
7 >> easily copy/paste from an ebuild to a web browser.
8 >>
9 >> If people want to copy/paste the URL, they can easily query the final
10 >> value using the portage API, or a tool written against it.
11 >
12 > I object! Portage API does not work conveniently for ebuilds scattered
13 > all over the place, or visible through gitweb.
14 >
15 > In fact, I would like to request an opposite motion: I would like to ban
16 > all constant-value variable references unless they give a *very* large
17 > measurable benefit.
18 >
19 > I'm really tired of people who try hard to replace everything with
20 > a variable when it doesn't give any benefit. It only means that:
21 >
22 > - when reviewing multiple ebuilds, I constantly need to look at PN to
23 > figure out whether someone didn't screw up the vars,
24 >
25 > - things are not suitable for straightforward copy-paste for testing,
26 >
27 > - everything falls apart when someone renames the package (either us or
28 > upstream). In particular, it becomes PITA to figure out which ${PN}
29 > represent the upstream name, and which ones strictly refer to the
30 > package name.
31 >
32 > In other words:
33 >
34 > a. P/PV/PF are acceptable because versions change frequently,
35 >
36 > b. PN might be acceptable when used for MY_P and so on,
37 >
38 > c. no variables in HOMEPAGE, EGIT_REPO_URI, constant part of SRC_URI
39 > (so I could at least open the directory containing the file),
40 >
41 > d. no random ${PN} all over the install phase.
42
43 After thinking about it, I suppose this makes sense. If we can get
44 some agreement to use ${PN} and other static values as little as
45 possible, I can support that.
46
47 What really doesn't make sense to me is to ban it just for HOMEPAGE,
48 but allow it everywhere else.