From: Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>, udev-bugs@g.o, systemd <systemd@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Dropping static libs support from cryptsetup and lvm2
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2013 21:32:58
1 El lun, 29-07-2013 a las 17:13 -0400, Rich Freeman escribió:
2 > On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 4:57 PM, Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o> wrote:
3 > > Grepping in the tree, looks like only some old genkernel versions are
4 > > depending on it. Apart of that, what is requiring static libs in
5 > > cryptsetup and lvm2?
6 >
7 > This isn't the specific answer you're likely looking for, but the
8 > obvious answers would be:
9 > 1. Booting without /usr mounted if any of cryptsetup/lvm2's libs are
10 > located in /usr (not the case for lvm2 on my system at least).
11 > 2. Any initramfs creation tool that isn't smart enough to realize
12 > what cryptsetup/lvm2 are linked to and copy those into the initramfs
13 > (shouldn't be an issue in anything modern).
14 >
15 > Rich
18 How the /usr in other partition ended finally then? I though that, since
19 there are a lot of things in / that rely in others in /usr, people were
20 supposed to either use initramfs or busybox to get /usr mounted
21
22 Also, looks like Debian (apart of other distributions I have checked
23 like openSuSE, Fedora and Mageia) is not providing static libs for them
24 since 2011:
25 http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=543163
26
27 Maybe are they handling splitted /usr in a different way? :/