From: Svyatogor <svyatogor@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] *IMPORTANT* top-level management structure!
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 10:09:33
1 Hello!
2 I am fairly new to this project and of course don't know all the difficulties,
3 which you might have faced lately, but still I'd like to make as some
4 questions on this plan.
5
6 First of all, the whole thing sounds quite nice. Especially cause it seems to
7 bring some order and also some understanding who's responsible for what, and
8 whom you need to contact in case you have this or other trouble.
9
10 Secondly, in a number of places you point out such thing as 'accountability'.
11 Of course it is extremely important, but this is an Open Source project
12 (AFAIK) and I don't actually see how you're planning to enforce responsibity
13 for meeting project goals and deadlines.
14
15 Then, you say:
16
17 "Both the scope and any necessary decision-making authority must be
18 agreed upon by both the chief architect and project members."
19
20 How do you actually see this being done? While all project members and 'chief
21 architect' and top level guys will most likely have the same intuitive
22 understanding of what needs to be done, it'' be hard to agree upon a certain
23 formal plan/definition. I am not trying to imply, that I don't like the idea.
24 What I'm trying probably you need to elaborate on some procedures of reaching
25 this agreement.
26
27 Ok, something else. You mention mailing list and IRC channel. However, you
28 don't specify if they are gonna be opened for everyone to read listen, or
29 not. I believe, it is extremely important for everyone - both devs and users
30 to see what is going on in the management of the project. In the end of the
31 day most people are volunteers and don't want to find thmesleves one day in
32 situation when top managers, just bring them ready decision, which they've
33 never had a chance to comment on.
37 Sergey Kuleshov <svyatogor@g.o>
38 Let the Force be with us!
42 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list