From: Sergey Popov <pinkbyte@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>, qa@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: useflag policies
Date: Sun, 09 Aug 2015 19:38:42
1 <qa team lead hat>
2
3 In short - apropriate REQUIRED_USE with setting recommended
4 USE-flag(e.g. USE="+qt4 qt5" or USE="qt4 +qt5")
5
6 </qa team lead hat>
7
8 That's most painless decision for both developers and users. Developers
9 do not need to maintain ugly dependencies like
10
11 DEPEND="qt4 ? (
12 qt5 ( dev-qt/qtcore:5 )
13 !qt5 ( dev-qt/qtcore:4 )
14 )
15 ...
16 "
17 and other mess.
18
19 </qa team lead hat>
20
21 Users will have default behaviour for empty make.conf. If they adjust
22 they make.conf to globally include/exclude some Qt-related USEs - they
23 are already moving from default and that's why - they can add apropriate
24 options to package.use