From: Arun Raghavan <ford_prefect@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: locations of binaries and separate /usr
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2012 00:58:52
1 On 6 January 2012 06:14, Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 01/06/12 05:26, Olivier CrĂȘte wrote:
3 > [snip]
4 >> The only thing I see them sacrificing is loose coupling, they provide
5 >> more functionality than any other init system, more correctness
6 >> (seriously, did you ever read most init scripts out there?), more well
7 >> defined behavior (all systemd systems boot exactly the same), more
8 >> stability (I'll claim that Lennart's C is better than any of the
9 >> boot-time shell scripts I've seen) and well understandability depends
10 >> who much you can understand C. Probably a bit less understandable for
11 >> sysadmins, but since they can just play with config files, it's
12 >> probably easier to understand in the end (and much less prone to
13 >> breaking than mucking around shell scripts).
14 > As you apparently have no idea what a sysadmin does I'd appreciate it if
15 > people like you didn't try to guess what would make things better and
16 > instead listened to people that have more than their desktop to run.
17 > (Hint: It's not pressing reset buttons)
18 >
19 > Given the choice between a single line of shell ( cat "$urandom_seed" >
20 > /dev/urandom ) or 145 lines of undocumented C (which, if naively
21 > modified by me, might just make systemd segfault) ... there is no choice.
22
23 Seems straightforward and well-documented to me:
24 http://cgit.freedesktop.org/systemd/tree/src/random-seed.c. And the
25 "if I naively modify things, they might explode" argument holds for
26 anything.
27
28 These are basic things that you almost certainly would not be
29 modifying as a sysadmin anyway. I'd hope that the things that you
30 really do want to muck around with are provided as configuration, and
31 if they're not, you talk to upstream and make a case for this being
32 useful to users. Just like with every other open source project.
35 Arun Raghavan
36 http://arunraghavan.net/
37 (Ford_Prefect | Gentoo) & (arunsr | GNOME)