From: Jerry A! <jerry@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ebuild, ip6tables headaches, kernel confusion, xinetd vs. tcpwrappers
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 02:16:31
On Wed, Jan 10, 2001 at 01:57:38AM -0700, Bill Anderson wrote:
: Hello all, new soon-to-be-trying-gentoo person here.
: Jerry A! wrote:
: > : 4. kernel confusion
: > : When all is said and done why not just go with 2.4.0 stable? My neophyte
: > : logic says that if it's a final kernel release that has been blessed by
: > : Linus than at the very least, it must be more stable than the 2.3.X series
: > : or the 2.4.0-testX series (I don't know where the ac1/2/3 fit into this).
: >
: > Ahh, grasshopper.  When many release cycles you've been through, trust a
: > point-oh release you will not.
: >
: As compared to a prerelease test kernel?
: As someone who has been through many release cylces, I would have to
: dosagree, if that is your position.

Nah, just with Linux kernel.  8) It's like the limited testing that's
done shows everything as kosher.  Then you move into a .0 release
version that gets wider use and more new and interesting bugs seem to
crop up.  The funny thing about this release is that I've heard less
complaints about -test10 than I have about any version that followed it.

Certainly not empirical evidence--just observation...

name:  Jerry Alexandratos         ||  Open-Source software isn't a
phone: 703.599.6023               ||  matter of life or death...
email: jerry@××××××.com           ||  ...It's much more important