From: Michael Cummings <mcummings@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Cc: gentoo-user@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: perl extra modules
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2002 07:26:30
1 Leon,
2
3 Agreed this should be over on dev (cc'd -user just so the thread
4 watchers know).
5 OK, so after sending that last message, I began thinking it
6 through, and there are at least a few packages that might have perl
7 module dependancies (doesn't some of the functionality of gimp require a
8 few perl modules to be installed? pretty sure there is at least a few
9 mainstream apps that have perl modules they need for some of their
10 plugins...).
11 If it were my call (ha! ok, everyone stop laughing, I know what
12 that last line was worth) I'd recommend only maintaining those perl
13 modules that actually are depended on, and even then discouraging the
14 use of ebuilds for loading perl modules...er, not sure that made sense,
15 second whack at it...keep around those modules that are needed for other
16 ebuilds to succeed, but not try and replicate the cpan listings. For
17 starters, modules get updated sporadically - there are some modules,
18 still good, that haven't been touched in years because the developer was
19 done with it. Others get updated a lot, and that could throw a wrench if
20 you have apps depending on one version.
21
22 My additional two cents (think I'm up to four now) is that perl
23 modules are good to have in portage when they fulfill a dependancy, but
24 personally I think it would be dangerous/risky to attempt to maintain an
25 ebuild tree for perl modules. No offense to those who have made the
26 ebuilds up to this point (seemant and danamark come to mind from a
27 recent perusal, among others), but the whole point to the -MCPAN -e
28 shell is that you are automatically filtering yourself into the mirror
29 trees and aren't relying on the main cpan server to handle your request.
30
31 Thinking of which - for apps that depend on perl modules,
32 instead of building an ebuild for that module that points directly to
33 the module on cpan, would it be possible to instead execute a one liner
34 in perl that grabs and installs the module? ( perl -MCPAN -e install
35 PERL::MODULE)
36
37 Ok, time for more coffee, this thinking stuff hurts.
38
39 Mike
40