From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] acceptable alternatives to -Werror, was: Changing policy about -Werror
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2018 00:15:05
1 On Wed, Sep 12, 2018 at 7:35 PM Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn
2 <chithanh@g.o> wrote:
5 > Requirements:
6 >
7 > * Do not fail to build/install when a warning is encountered
8
9 On a particularly critical package like a filesystem, wouldn't we want
10 to still fail to install when a warning is encountered?
11
12 > Also possible is to introduce FEATURES="strict-warnings" or similar, which
13 > will cause the build to fail if warnings are encountered in a warningfree
14 > ebuild.
15
16 I guess this depends on whether warningfree is only used where -Werror
17 would otherwise be used. Packages could presumably also warn users
18 when installing without this feature set not to complain too much if
19 our defaults destroy their data and to consider setting the flag...
20 :)
21
22 I get that users might quit if packages don't install, but I'm not
23 sure that a filesystem corruption is going to make them any happier...
26 Rich