From: Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: arm64@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] arm64 stable profiles
Date: Thu, 03 May 2018 22:23:32
1 Hello,
2
3 I intend to mark the following profiles stable within a week or so:
4
5 default/linux/arm64/17.0
6 default/linux/arm64/17.0/systemd
7
8 arm64 (AArch64) is becoming a rather major architecture in the computer
9 industry, from small single board computers to very beefy servers. It
10 is about time to grace it with stable Gentoo support.
11
12 Thanks to access to a 96 cores @ 2.0GHz arm64 server with 128GB RAM it
13 has been easy to finish up fixing our keywording issues and clear up
14 stabilization queue. This access has been kindly provided to Gentoo by
15 packet.net via the Works on Arm initiative.
18 Before proceeding I intend to get the following still done first:
19
20 * Clear up the stabilization queue (only about 3 actionable bugs still
21 to do at the moment, rest is caught up)
22 * Reduce things that are USE masked (from early keyword issue solving),
23 before higher care needs to be taken for that work with stable
24 profiles; in particular I want to concentrate on test dependencies and
25 some more widely used optional features and their external deps
26
27 Shortly afterwards:
28 * Spin a new stage3
29 * Look into moving the stages out of experimental status
30
31 Later plans:
32 * Support more server software
33 * Introduce ~arm64 GNOME3 support (and stabilize later on); (thanks Ben
34 Kohler, for donating me a DragonBoard 410c a while back, on which I'll
35 be able to test running it)
36 * Start actively taking and handling keywording and stable requests of
37 things people want to use on their Aarch64 hardware
38 * More automated stage tarballs
39 * Become Gentoo Security supported
40 * Overtake amd64 in supported maintained software?
43 The intention is also to follow up with the following profiles soon
44 enough, as we start tracking more desktops as well:
45 default/linux/arm64/17.0/desktop
46 default/linux/arm64/17.0/desktop/system
47 d
48 default/linux/arm64/17.0/developer
49
50 Still pondering about the default/linux/arm64/17.0/developer profile,
51 given its effect on repoman speed for all, compared to its value to
52 end-users and inflexibility to developers for whom this is meant for.
53
54 Once GNOME is supported, we'd also make new
55 default/linux/arm64/17.0/desktop/{,systemd} profiles into stable and
56 whatever other profiles that have their relevant packages properly
57 supported in the future (e.g. plasma).
60 Bikeshed now or forever hold your peace.