From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: DistroWatch and Gentoo packages: status quo and future
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 01:08:42
1 On 20:46 Sun 13 Sep , Ryan Hill wrote:
2 > On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 14:15:34 +0200
3 > Sebastian Pipping <webmaster@××××××××.org> wrote:
4 > > Ryan Hill wrote:
5 > > > Personally I don't see how gaming the system helps us in any way.
6 > >
7 > > I was afraid it could be read in such a way. Handing out fake version
8 > > numbers would be much easier, wouldn't it? I want every single package
9 > > int he tree to be stable, up to date and polished. But as our resources
10 > > are limited let's focus on packages that are most important first.
11 >
12 > That's actually what I meant by gaming the system. We could keep those
13 > particular packages up to the minute, but it wouldn't reflect the state of
14 > our distro as a whole. It's a false metric and I don't see the advantage in
15 > pandering to it. It's much more important that our packages actually work
16 > together than have the highest numbers.
17
18 At the same time, we also want to ensure that any badly out-of-date
19 packages on there aren't outliers that reflect poorly on our actual
20 average status. And frankly, having any way to monitor popular yet
21 outdated packages is a good thing.
24 Thanks,
25 Donnie
26