From: Jo Bieg <jogi@××××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Simple question : installing packages
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 09:14:41
1 Hi there,
2
3 I'm just following these discussions since I'm really a newbie to linux.
4 However, I've got some questions you may be able to answer:
5
6 1. Checking what packages you need
7
8 Is there a way to determine the dependency status of the whole system (check
9 what packages are missing). I know there's an ebuild command to check the
10 dependency of a single package. So do I have to write a shell script which
11 goes through the db and checks every single package in there?
12
13 2. (Actually not Gentoo related) Organizing data.
14
15 Comparing Linux to Windows I realized the differences in managing data. Eg.
16 linux (and unix?) uses a "spread out" system collecting data of the same
17 type (like libraries, binaries, documentation) whereas Windows puts data
18 together (each program has its own directory). Is there a proper technical
19 term which describes these two models?
20
21 regards
22 Jo
23
24 I'd gladly help you out with the website. Though I'm not really working with
25 linux.
26 Yet, I'm just a Windows, Outlook and Photoshop lamer ;)
27
29 Jo Bieg | jogi@××××××.de | ICQ #53585592
30 http://www.netads.de/jogi
31
32 ----- Original Message -----
33 From: <drobbins@g.o>
34 To: <gentoo-dev@g.o>
35 Sent: Thursday, January 11, 2001 11:45 PM
36 Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Simple question : installing packages