From: Jo Bieg <jogi@××××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Simple question : installing packages
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 09:14:41
Hi there,

I'm just following these discussions since I'm really a newbie to linux.
However, I've got some questions you may be able to answer:

1. Checking what packages you need

Is there a way to determine the dependency status of the whole system (check
what packages are missing). I know there's an ebuild command to check the
dependency of a single package. So do I have to write a shell script which
goes through the db and checks every single package in there?

2. (Actually not Gentoo related) Organizing data.

Comparing Linux to Windows I realized the differences in managing data. Eg.
linux (and unix?) uses a "spread out" system collecting data of the same
type (like libraries, binaries, documentation) whereas Windows puts data
together (each program has its own directory). Is there a proper technical
term which describes these two models?

I'd gladly help you out with the website. Though I'm not really working with
Yet, I'm just a Windows, Outlook and Photoshop lamer ;)

Jo Bieg | jogi@××××××.de | ICQ #53585592