From: Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Detecting gcj in ebuilds
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2004 06:49:42
1 土曜日 20 11月 2004 15:13・髟阡�Duncan さんは書きました:
2 > Luke-Jr posted <200411170444.23945.luke-jr@×××××××.org>, excerpted below,
3 >
4 > on Wed, 17 Nov 2004 04:44:23 +0000:
5 > > On Wednesday 17 November 2004 2:57 am, Duncan wrote:
6 > >> I would **NOT** appreciate portage taking upon ITSELF to CHANGE my USE
7 > >> flags behind my back!!! Count this as one vote for emerge-stopping
8 > >> errors, NOT warnings that may or may not be seen in the middle of a
9 > >> string of emerges. Yes, I use pretend (or more generally, ask), and
10 > >> would normally catch a repeated emerge there. However, I still don't
11 > >> want use flags being changed out from under me.
12
13 Commented no this already.
14
15 > > This would be not very different than GNOME forcing you to emerge GTK
16 > > despite having -gtk in your USE...
17
18 I agree with this.
19
20 > Quite the contrary.
21
22 <snip 5 sentences with misuse of capitals>
23
24 > The parallel to gtk/gnome in the thread situation would be if there was a
25 > separate gcj package that was required for the ebuild in question, that
26 > could then be made a dependency. That's conceptually quite different from
27 > changing the use flags on an existing merged package.
28
29 Is it conceptually different from changing the USE flags on a package that
30 hasn't been merged yet?
31
32 <snip 1 sentence with misuse of capitals>
33
34 > (That's the minimum, plus possibly an additional binary packaging of the
35 > existing installation before the remerge, and remerge of it replacing the
36 > modified package afterward.)
37
38 I don't understand the context here after cutting out your yelling.
39
40 <snip 1 sentence with misuse of capitals>
41
42 > A simple dependency based forced emerge can be expected and
43 > should be covered by an emerge pretend or an emerge ask.
44
45 I don't know about you, but I think that a package requiring certain
46 capabilities of another package fits in completely with the definition of
47 "simple dependency".
48
49 <snip 1 sentence with misuse of capitals>
50
51 > Among other things, it's begging for additional security issues because the
52 > admin had no logical reason to think he had anything installed that was
53 > affected, when he did. That's in addition to the issues of usurping control
54 > from the admin, thinking you know better than he does what should happen on
55 > his system. IMO, that's something MS does, not something Gentoo should be
56 > doing.
57
58 This is just fud. What would be "usurping control" and blah blah blah would be
59 to remove the gcj flag from gcc and just force it to be compiled. That would
60 solve this as well and would actually be much easier to implement. Yeah,
61 let's do it! It'd save me and many others a load of time.
62
63 > As for dependency-time checks, great! I'm all for getting a warning
64 > before I've emerged all those pre-merge dependencies, after suitable
65 > functionality has been coded into portage to support that. Regardless of
66 > whether that functionality is there or not, however, as a Gentoo user aka
67 > sysadmin of a Gentoo system, one that takes that sysadmin and
68 > security-admin job seriously, I'm opposed to changing use flags behind my
69 > back.
70
71 Heh.. "behind my back". Aren't you already aware of what's going on?
72
73 <snip 1 sentence with misuse of capitals>
74
75 > I'll either fix the problem and rerun the emerge, or I'll do an emerge
76 > --depclean and clean out all the gunk I now can't use.
77
78 <snip 1 sentence with misuse of capitals>
79
80 --depclean is broken. Packages dying several hours into an emerge is pretty
81 broken behaviour as well. Are you not just afraid of change?
82
83 Regards,
84 Jason Stubbs
87 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list