From: "Paweł Hajdan
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] How help in arch testing work
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2012 18:16:35
1 On 1/18/12 7:10 PM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 18 January 2012 12:32:08 Paweł Hajdan, Jr. wrote:
3 >> Same here. How about adding some warning to portage (maybe just in the
4 >> developer profile) when files in NEEDED are provided by packages not in
5 >> RDEPEND?
6 >
7 > atm, we'll get a lot of false positives due to over-linking. the libtool +
8 > .la files "issue" is a general example. another one off the top of my head: a
9 > package uses GTK+, so it runs `pkg-config --libs gtk+-2.0`, and links against a
10 > lot more stuff than GTK+, but it doesn't list those deps itself, so it'd fail.
11 >
12 > we could extend the logic to assume anything not found in the pkg's RDEPEND,
13 > but was found in the full RDEPEND tree, is simply an implicit dep like that,
14 > but this quickly dilutes the usefulness i think :(.
15
16 Oh, I meant the full RDEPEND tree in the above terminology.
17
18 It's not perfect indeed, but should catch most serious errors.
19
20 Also, we could make the "direct RDEPEND" problem a non-fatal warning.