From: R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Last rites: games-rpg/nwn-shadowlordsdreamcatcherdemon
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2017 02:13:15
1 On Sat, Sep 9, 2017 at 3:58 AM, Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Fri, 8 Sep 2017 20:33:49 -0500
3 > R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> In any case it is my understanding that the issue is that simple. It's
6 >> the reason torrents and magnet links exist, and why there are no legal
7 >> claims possible against websites which host magnet links.
8 >
9 > The entire court case against PirateBay was based on that.
10 >
11 > And the court case was won against PirateBay
12 >
13 > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pirate_Bay_trial#Trial_and_courtroom_charges
14 >
15 >> The court found that the defendants were all guilty of accessory to
16 >> crime against copyright law, strengthened by the commercial and
17 >> organized nature of the activity.
20 This was normal torrents, not magnet links? Was the complaint retried
21 against someone else who was hosting a magnet link website?
22
23 I suspect the links in ebuilds are more like torrent files, in which
24 case I think it makes sense to wait to be contacted to remove the
25 links. Otherwise, lots of other precautions should be taken, such as
26 disclaiming liability for acts of terrorism perpetrated using Gentoo.