From: Alin Nastac <mrness@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC about another *DEPEND variable
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 14:42:56
Brian Harring wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 21, 2006 at 01:38:59PM +0200, Luca Barbato wrote: > > There is one flaw with this though; packages can provide both > libraries _and_ binaries. Our dependencies don't represent whether > the dep is actual linkage, or just commandline consuming, so (using > the openssl example) any package that invokes openssl via the > commandline to do a few simple chksum ops gets rebuilt, despite the > fact it wasn't affected by linkage change ups. >
I like BINCOMPAT proposal but it solves only half of the problem. You assume that all dependent packages cares about binary compatibility. Why not using a BDEPEND var in those dependent packages affected by the BINCOMPAT values of their dependencies? For instance, I would set the following: - in net-dialup/ppp ebuild: BINCOMPAT=${PV} - in net-dialup/pptpd ebuild: BDEPEND="net-dialup/ppp"

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC about another *DEPEND variable Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC about another *DEPEND variable Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>