From: Don Davies <djdavies@××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Bunch of bugs (nothing major - skip if you're not interested)
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 23:03:51
1 Sigh,
2
3 After trying to enlist help in the iRC channel to fix these,
4 the impression was made that a team meeting had to take
5 place before bugs could be fixed. I understand the
6 underlying principle of not wanting to tread over other
7 peoples territory.. but in reality we're talking about typos
8 and small build fixes. If these cannot be immediately fixed
9 and need a developer conference to resolve.. then well..
10 Good Luck when the portage tree reaches several thousand
11 packages. Is there no interest in fixing old stuff or what?
12
13 1. the dev-lang/php/* ebuilds are erroneously referencing
14 a *specific revision* of freetype-1 in the DEPEND line. These
15 lines should have the = replaced with >= or better yet the
16 new ~ syntax makes sense here.
17
18 2. The exact same bug is present in the media-libs/libgd
19 ebuild. It needs to say >= freetype-1-r1 not =freetype-1-r1
20
21 The bugs are particulary nasty because the latest -r of freetype-1
22 in the portage tree is r2, which I had on my system, but
23 emerge --pretend php revealed that freetype would be downgraded
24 to -r1. Is this not a pretty clear case of a typo? It sure seems like
25 one to me.
26
27 3. The minicom ebuild in the tree doesnt build complaining of
28 a bad ko.mo file. I dont know if gettext-0.10.39 would solve the
29 problem, but even as of the latest rc6 build image, 0.10.38 is
30 being used. If somebody will add this quick hack/fix to the
31 bottom of minicom's src_unpack, it will at least compile and install:
32
33 cp po/Makefile po/Makefile.orig
34 cat po/Makefile.orig | sed -e "s:ko.mo: :" > po/Makefile
35
36 4. The x11-wm/bbkeys ebuild is badly broken. Im afraid it
37 needs to be reworked.. some parts are just plain wrong. For
38 example the part where it tries to use DESTDIR for a Makefile
39 that doesnt have such a construct. Its only 1 bin for that part
40 anyway. I have a working one, which Ill post to gentoo-ebuild.
41
42 Most of this could have been fixed in 5 mins had somebody
43 showed interest in doing so. Instead typos need a formal report?
44 I dont mean to sound overly sarcastic, but surely we neednt go
45 though this excercise in order to get a few small bugs tidied up.
46
47 Regards
48 Woodchip