From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Thank you
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2014 06:30:20
1 Hi. TL;DR, this is basically just a THANK YOU to the Gentoo devs, so
2 you can go on your daily business if you don't want to read the rest
3 of it. No biggie.
4
5 I just want to say THANK YOU to all of our Gentoo developers. I've
6 been using Gentoo since ca. 2002 (damn, that's more than a decade),
7 and I've seen a lot of flamewars and bikeshedding on the -dev mailing
8 list.
9
10 However, you guys get the job done, and although there are some things
11 that I would like to have sooner (or would have liked to have
12 earlier), in the end the people working keep pushing the necessary
13 changes so the distribution keeps going, and (if so desired) using new
14 and interesting technologies.
15
16 More importantly, the developers and the bureaucratic structures they
17 have created don't get (too much) in the way of individual or small
18 groups of developers pushing for progress. In general at least; there
19 will be always someone resisting change, but in general Gentoo keeps
20 advancing, and the council and the other bureaucratic structures don't
21 punish people for just wanting to have more new and cool features in
22 the distribution.
23
24 I've never said Thank You to all our developers in all these years
25 using Gentoo, but after seeing the discussion the Debian CTTE is
26 having related to the default init they should use[1][2][3] (including
27 bureaucratic maneuvers, dilatory tactics, legalese interpretation of
28 their rulings, etc.), I think the time is long overdue for me to do
29 it.
30
31 Thank you for all the work you guys do and have done.
32 Thank you for not penalize progress.
33 Thank you for not being so rigid.
34 Thank you for keeping the distribution moving and evolving.
35 And finally, just thank you.
36
37 From a proud Gentoo+systemd+GNOME 3 user, thank you.
38
39 Regards.
40
41 [1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-ctte/2014/01/threads.html