From: Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: /etc/env.d/46kdepaths belongs to arts.. error?
Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2005 16:54:31
1 On Saturday 02 July 2005 18:47, Duncan wrote:
2 > Dan Armak posted <200507021533.38731.danarmak@g.o>, excerpted
3 >
4 > below, on Sat, 02 Jul 2005 15:33:34 +0300:
5 > > At least arts is going away with kde 3.x :-)
6 >
7 > I read the rumors on that about a year ago, I'd guess, and have been
8 > trying to keep up with it. Unfortunately as I've been the de facto point
9 > man on a couple of newsgroups (one aka the Gentoo amd64 list, tho there
10 > are Gentoo KDE devs there now), because I just seemed to know more about
11 > it than anyone else, I've heard essentially /nothing/ on it since then.
12 I'm hardly a reliable source on this, I can only repeat what I've seen on the
13 kde-devel and kde-core-devel mailing lists, and I've probably missed some
14 relevant posts there. Other kde@ people should add to what I say here...
17 > Back then, there wasn't even a solid proposal as to what would replace
18 > ARTS' various functions. The best solution seemed to be the desktop.org
19 > common solution, only nobody knew what it would look like or when that
20 > would be ready for practical deployment (if ever) either. gstreamer and
21 > other possible partial solutions came up as well. Just plain ALSA's nice,
22 > but Linux-only, so that doesn't work to well. JACK's nice and certainly
23 > cures the latency issues so common in ARTS and other sound daemons of the
24 > era, but it has its own issues -- not /enough/ latency for smooth play on
25 > some kernels and in some instances.
26
27 I say aRts is going away because it's nearly or entirely unmaintained for a
28 long time now and has been declared dead many times in many forums. AFAIK
29 it's not been decided yet what to replace it with beyond what you already
30 wrote here.
31
32 > So... what has happened since then, where are we now in the journey, does
33 > whatever look to be ready for KDE's use, and how many more KDE 3.x
34 > releases before KDE 4.0 comes out? (Last year they were talking a quick
35 > 3.4 and then buckling down for 4.0, but now I read about a 3.5 around the
36 > corner. More?)
37 I know there's a new thingy called kdemm, but it's just a framework IIRC; it
38 will still need a sound daemon doing mixing and output behind the scenes. The
39 daemon is what hasn't been decided on yet, but maybe kdemm will support a
40 choice of several (I've no idea if that'll happen).
41
42 > If there are any informative URLs I've missed, either about KDE 4.0 sound,
43 > or the current KDE roadmap, pointing me to those will be fine.
44 No idea. There don't tend to be many things on static webpages about kde HEAD
45 development and plans.
46
47 > The latest
48 > release plan I see is still for 3.4.0 and dated from late last year!
49 I guess that page will be updated sometime before the 3.5 release cycle
50 actually starts with alpha1...
51
52 There's a 3.5 feature plan at
53 http://developer.kde.org/development-versions/kde-3.5-features.html, and a
54 recent short m/l thread about the release plan starts at
55 http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-core-devel&m=111934060916267&w=2, which isn't
56 conclusive but is nearly so.
57
58 > It's
59 > still talking about 3.4 being the last feature release of the 3.x series,
60 > but as I said, I now see talk of a 3.5 before 4.0.
61 3.5 is a made decision. It should be released somewhere this autumn. There was
62 talk about it being an apps-only release, with kdelibs focusing on QT4
63 porting and KDE4 development and having few or no new features, but that's
64 been dropped apparently and KDE4 coding will start on a really big scale only
65 after 3.5.
66
67 > At least Qt-4.0 is out
68 > now, so KDE-4.0, based on it, shouldn't be /too/ far away.
69 The thread referenced above gives July 2006 as a tentative target date.
72 Dan Armak
73 Gentoo Linux developer (KDE)
74 Public GPG key: http://dev.gentoo.org/~danarmak/danarmak-gpg-public.key
75 Fingerprint: DD70 DBF9 E3D4 6CB9 2FDD 0069 508D 9143 8D5F 8951