From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: rejecting unsigned commits
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 07:32:33
1 On 03/25/11 15:15, Torsten Veller wrote:
2 > * Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>:
3 >> On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 8:09 PM, Antoni Grzymala wrote:
4 > [Manifest signing]
5 >>> Does that get us any closer to GLEPs 57, 58, 59 (or generally
6 >>> approaching the tree-signing/verifying group of problems)?
7 >>
8 >> yes
9 >
10 > I think, it's a "no".
11 > The MetaManifest GLEP relies on a signed top-level "MetaManifest" which
12 > hashes all sub Manifests, whether they are signed or not doesn't matter.
13
14 I'd say that those are two independent issues. But by starting to figure
15 out how to force signed commits for everyone we at least get the
16 infrastructure done.
17
18 As long as we have no strict guidelines I don't see any advantage of
19 using signed commits, so I've never used them. Getting a coherent policy
20 for that sounds like a really good idea
21 (key length, expiry time, availability on keyservers etc.)
22 >
23 > I don't see a major advantage to signed portage snapshots we already
24 > offer today.
27 > Do you want to reject signed commits if
28 > - keys are not publicly available [1]
29 > - signatures are from expired keys [2]
30 > - keys are revoked [3]
31 > - keys are not listed in userinfo.xml (current or former devs) [4]
32
33 Yes, yes, yes, and yes :)
34 But since we don't have policies in place yet it's a bit of a mess right
35 now.
36
37 So. What parameters do we need to agree on?
38
39 And what's a realistic timeframe *if* we decide to go ahead with it?
40
41 Waiting for good answers :)
42
43 Patrick
44 --
45 Patrick Lauer http://service.gentooexperimental.org
46
47 Gentoo Council Member and Evangelist
48 Part of Gentoo Benchmarks, Forensics, PostgreSQL, KDE herds