From: Florian Schmaus <flow@g.o>
To: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proposal to undeprecate EGO_SUM
Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2022 17:21:22
1 On 01/10/2022 18.36, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 >>>>>> On Sat, 01 Oct 2022, Florian Schmaus wrote:
3 >
4 >> Bug #719201 was triggered by dev-texlive/texlive-latexextra-2000. It
5 >> appears that the ebuild had more than 6000 entries in SRC_URI [1],
6 >
7 > That includes double counting and must be divided by the number of
8 > developers in TEXLIVE_DEVS. AFAICS that number was two in 2020. So 3000
9 > is more realistic as a number there.
10
11 That may be very well the case. I'd appreciate if you would elaborate on
12 the double counting. If someone knows a good and easy way to compute A
13 for an ebuild, then please let me know. That would help to get more
14 meaningful data.
17 >> from which A is generated from. Hence even a EGO_SUM limit of 3000
18 >> entries should provide enough safety margin to avoid any Golang ebuild
19 >> running into this.
20 >
21 > See above, with 3000 entries there may be zero safety margin. It also
22 > depends on total filename length, because the limit is the Linux
23 > kernel's MAX_ARG_STRLEN (which is 128 KiB).
24
25 Of course, this is a rough estimation assuming that the filename length
26 is roughly the same on average. That said, my proposed limit for EGO_SUM
27 is 1500, which is still half of 3000 and should still provide enough
28 safety margin.
29
30 - Flow