From: Consus <consus@×××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Facilitating user contributed ebuilds (Was: [gentoo-dev] The future of the Sunrise project)
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2016 14:54:28
1 On 15:16 Wed 08 Jun, Alexander Berntsen wrote:
2 > Friends,
3 >
4 > It would be wise of us to create a novel way of involving users from
5 > the ashes of Sunrise.
6 >
7 > Here is my suggestion: It would be fruitful to encourage every single
8 > Gentoo user to have their own repository. And this repository should
9 > be publicly available.
10 >
11 > This way we can merge useful things from people, and they can submit
12 > pull-requests if they have useful things that are not in the tree.
13 > Before merging anything to the main tree, ebuilds should of course be
14 > carefully reviewed. Users could also review each other's ebuilds to
15 > ensure better quality ebuilds.
16 >
17 > This could lead to a future where the Gentoo tree is largely
18 > superseded. Every user would just have their own repository, where
19 > they could pick and choose packages from other users. The Gentoo tree
20 > would just focus on a high-quality repository of the basic/core things
21 > that everybody needs. Gentoo devs would spend most of their time
22 > maintaining curated small and useful repositories.
23
24 How all those people are expected to coordinate their work? I mean if
25 personA is going to drop the library that is required by personB,
26 personC and personD he should probably notify them beforehands. Thus he
27 needs a tool to monitor who the hell depends on him. Either that or all
28 repo masters will have to bundle their own versions of every library
29 that is not in ::gentoo in order to prevent sudden breackages.