From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] udev-ng? (Was: Summary Council meeting Tuesday 13 November 2012)
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2012 21:21:23
1 On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 2:04 PM, Rafael Goncalves Martins
2 <rafaelmartins@g.o> wrote:
3 > On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 3:37 PM, Rafael Goncalves Martins
4 >> Hmm, pretty cool! Then I can create a stupid project, put it on gentoo
5 >> infra and claim it as being Gentoo sponsored. Good to know, thanks!
8 > Just to make it clear: I'm not saying that any of the people involved
9 > with udev-ng/eudev/whatever, or even the project itself, is stupid. I
10 > was just interpreting rich0's answer.
13 However, your interpretation is perfectly correct - from GLEP 39:
14
15 Note that this GLEP does not provide for a way for the community at
16 large to block a new project, even if the comments are wholly
17 negative.
18
19 Arguably if somebody wants to be disruptive they can accomplish a lot
20 more by trolling the lists than by starting projects. Judging by the
21 general traffic on -dev, I'd say that everybody figured that out a
22 long time ago.
23
24 Oh, while anybody can start a project, the fact is that they all still
25 fall under either the Council or Trustees, and they must abide by the
26 policies set by both. Developers who cause trouble are still subject
27 to Devrel.
28
29 As somebody pointed out to me in email - the barriers to becoming a
30 dev are high, but once you're in you have fairly free reign. I'd like
31 to think that most of us would use that for the benefit of the
32 community. What I can tell you for sure is that no amount of rules or
33 bureaucracy is going to solve people problems - at best they just
34 stifle them, and everything else.
35
36 Rich