From: Don Davies <djdavies@××××××.homedotcom>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] More on the lukemftp and FETCH stuff
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 17:10:10
1 Ok, well I probably should have qualified my earlier stuff a little more..
2
3 I realized after checking, that Gentoo doesn't have a /bin/ftp by default.
4 This is probably a good idea to stick with.. so disregard the part about
5 default /bin/ftp! Sorry :-)
6
7 But once this gets committed, it will be the best FTP client clearly
8 from the competition in net-ftp/* IMHO. If you've used BSD, then
9 you already know that net-ftp/ftp (ftp-netkit) just doesnt cut it. I dont
10 believe it even supports ipv6. But choice is great, so install whichever
11 /bin/ftp you want. Although if I were king for a day, Id quickly be renaming
12 net-ftp/ftp to net-ftp/ftp-netkit and being so darned bold and decidedly
13 confident to rename net-ftp/lukemftp to net-ftp/ftp. The base BSD tools
14 are good, trust me. This should make it over here too.
15
16 As for the part about installing itself as FETCHCOMMAND, yes the
17 portage system gets more flexible if you make each package supply
18 a .fetch script. Ok so no problem, Ill simply make the required script/
19 functions, and this time only will install an example line in
20 /etc/make.defaults instead of taking over the world ;-)
21
22 Ce la vie, however all you have to do is TRY this package, and TRY it
23 in portage system to see the light. At least now when I build packages,
24 my screen looks professional, clean, and informative when files
25 are downloading instead of a complete pile of crap. Why do you
26 think there are patches out there for improving Wget's status reporting
27 function! Because its BUTT UGLY, thats why.
28
29 As for Wget being lightweight (ha!), well I dont know what that means
30 there because over here lukemftp .tbz2 package is smaller than the
31 wget .tbz2 package, although the lukemftp binary is twice the size
32 of the wget one. But of course that makes sense because the ftp
33 program does more usefull stuff than the wget one. The bottom line
34 is they're similar programs, with similar features. Although of course
35 Wget seems to contain a lot of support for mirroring websites, and
36 on-the-fly HTML tags manipulation that an FTP client does not waste
37 its time doing.
38
39 But again this all makes sense since wget is housed in net-misc/*
40 and this package should go into net-ftp/*.
41
42 Don