From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Defining TZ in the base system profile?
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2023 14:42:36
1 On Wed, 2023-01-18 at 20:48 -0500, Joshua Kinard wrote:
2 >
3 > So is adding a default definition of TZ to our base system
4 > /etc/profile something we want to look at? I
5 > haven't tried any other methods of benchmarking to see if not making
6 > those additional syscalls is just placebo
7 > or if there are actual impacts. Given how long this oddity has been
8 > around, I can't tell if it's a genuine
9 > bug in glibc, an unoptimized corner case, or just a big
10 > nothingburger.
13 I thought about doing this on my laptop, and talked myself out of it.
14 The main counter-arguments are,
15
16 1. ICU doesn't handle the :/etc/localtime format at the moment,
17
18 * https://unicode-org.atlassian.net/browse/ICU-13694
19 * https://github.com/nodejs/node/issues/37271
20
21 You could readlink() it or whatever at boot, but that will cause
22 changes to /etc/localtime to be mysteriously ignored.
23
24 2. The stats are there for a "good" reason, namely to let glibc
25 know if the timezone has changed on the fly.
26
27 The first one is only a temporary deal-breaker, but the second is a
28 tradeoff involving how often your timezone changes (user-dependent) and
29 what the real performance impact is (probably not much).