From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] reconciling new-style virtuals with overlays
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2011 15:51:37
1 >>>>> On Sat, 23 Apr 2011, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2
3 > On Sat, 23 Apr 2011 16:47:37 +0200
4 > Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn <chithanh@g.o> wrote:
5 >> What I propose solves the problems that old-style virtuals
6 >> introduce in dependency resolution. What other problems do they
7 >> cause?
8
9 > DEPEND=">=virtual/blah-2"
10
11 > DEPEND="virtual/blah[foo]"
12
13 > DEPEND="!virtual/that-i-provide"
14
15 > PROVIDE="not-a/virtual"
16
17 > best_version virtual/blah
18
19 > The full VDB load required to figure out whether or not a virtual is
20 > installed.
21
22 Apart from these, information for old-style virtuals is decentralised:
23 It's scattered over all packages providing the virtual, plus several
24 virtuals files in profiles (in January, we had about 60 such files).
25
26 Obviously it's difficult to keep track of this. When going through the
27 remaining old-style virtuals, I've found examples for all of the
28 following:
29
30 - virtual provided by packages but not listed in profiles
31 - virtual listed in profiles but not provided by any package
32 - virtuals file in profiles listing a preferred package that doesn't
33 provide the virtual
34 - versioned package atoms for virtuals in profiles
35 - virtual removed long time ago, but some packages still containing
36 forgotten PROVIDE lines and blockers
37 - virtual listed in profiles, but was converted to new-style long ago
38
39 Besides, if you look at the history of profiles/base/virtuals, you'll
40 see that the last old-style virtuals were added in 2006. I take this
41 as an indication that there's no real need for them.
42
43 Ulrich