From: Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: GLEP 19 -- Gentoo Stable Portage Tree
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 15:34:51
1 On Tuesday 03 February 2004 16:30, Kurt Lieber wrote:
2 > Because this is NOT a QA GLEP, I don't see the need to funnel off-cycle
3 > updates through a central team. It's going to be different enough to
4 > commit something to the stable tree to prevent accidental oopses in 99.9%
5 > of the cases. If someone deliberately commits something off-cycle to the
6 > stable tree, then that's a separate issue.
7
8 This makes much more sense than saying we need a separate branch because
9 people irresponsibly delete ebuilds in the main one, and that stable means
10 tested/proven (and not 'changeless' as you explained) and so we need some new
11 QA effort to certify ebuilds we want to mark as stable. (That clarification
12 should IMHO be added to the GLEP.)
13
14 Thanks for explaining, now it looks much better :-)
17 Dan Armak
18 Gentoo Linux developer (KDE)
19 Matan, Israel
20 Public GPG key: http://dev.gentoo.org/~danarmak/danarmak-gpg-public.key
21 Fingerprint: DD70 DBF9 E3D4 6CB9 2FDD 0069 508D 9143 8D5F 8951