From: "Benjamin Smee (strerror)" <strerror@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Default Ebuild behaviour
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 12:18:23
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 Heya,
5
6 I noticed the logrotate USE flag thread recently and did a bit of reading on
7 the problem (ie read all the previous threads) as well as touching on the
8 whole cron USE flag thoughts as well, and it struck me that it is really odd
9 that this entire issue hasn't been sorted out a long time ago. I was always
10 under the impression that our ebuilds should work, in whatever capacity that
11 is possible, after being emerged. I did a little digging and found:
12 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/handbook/handbook.xml?part=3&chap=1
13 Under 1a, the third point states:
14 "Your package, when complete and unmasked, is supposed to "just work" for the
15 end-user. Tweaking the installed product to get it to work should be
16 optional; thus you need to install the package with reasonable default
17 settings."
18
19 This strikes me as sane, lets face it, while many people are of the opinion
20 that before using a package, say AIDE, that you should know all about it and
21 read all the documentation then spend time writing a configuration file, most
22 people will just want to emerge an integrity checker and have something
23 working. Additionally it seems to me that tools like etc-update and
24 dispatch-conf were written to manage maintaining configuration files. While I
25 understand various developers concerns about cluttering /etc (especially
26 embedded), I don't see why this should stop the policy of writting ebuilds
27 that work and have expected tools around them. Precisely what that
28 constitutes is the real question.
29
30 My concern right now is that we have no common way of dealing with ebuilds.
31 Some ebuilds work after an emerge, some don't, some have example config files
32 but they require the user to copy it over and modify it, some ebuilds have
33 {cron,logrotate} entries that they just install, some use a USE flag, some
34 don't even have any of the above when you would reasonably expect them to and
35 so on. The point is that because of the lack of enforcement on whether
36 ebuilds should work after an emerge and what that means (ie does it include
37 things you expect as a sysadmin? logrotate and cron entries would normally
38 qualify as such, especially for example logrotate for syslog-ng) we have a
39 completely inconsistant user experience, each time someone emerges an ebuild
40 its unclear what the user has to do, if anything, to make the application
41 work.
42
43 Is it possible to get a clear statement of policy (if the point I already
44 quoted isn't already) as to what state the ebuild should leave the system
45 after installation. Can we get agreement as to how to treat configuration
46 files, either directly related to the ebuild or subsidary ones like cron /
47 logrotate / selinux ? I think that doing so would significantly improve the
48 consistancy of Gentoo which would be a win all round.
49
50 I know that there are always some exceptions but I believe that having
51 working configuration files and consistant treatment of various supporting
52 scripts should be perfectly possible for the vast majority of ebuilds.
53
54 - --
55 Benjamin Smee (strerror)
56 crypto/forensics/netmail/netmon