From: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] News item: GCC 6 defaults to USE="pie ssp"
Date: Tue, 09 May 2017 23:44:24
1 Am Dienstag, 9. Mai 2017, 22:10:21 CEST schrieb Alexis Ballier:
2 >
3 > Do you realize that this breaks linking against about any static lib
4 > ever built before upgrading ? And I'm not even considering people
5 > toggling the flag.
6
7 Toggling the flag is definitely bad. So it should be either on or off.
10 > While I believe it might be a bit too early to default-enable pie, why
11 > not, but the news item *must* contain instructions that people should
12 > 'emerge -e world' in order for it to work.
13 >
14 > Also, I don't believe default-pie should even be a useflag. It's always
15 > been forced-on for hardened and forced-off for non-hardened I think.
16 > Switching between the two types of profiles has always been difficult
17 > because of that kind of differences. I strongly believe this should stay
18 > that way (that is: this cant be toggled by a simple useflag).
21 Well... Hanno and Matthias said Gentoo is about the only place where it isn't
22 on by default. So why are we "early", and why not just force it on for
23 everybody?
27 Andreas K. Hüttel
28 dilfridge@g.o
29 Gentoo Linux developer (council, perl, libreoffice)