From: Tom Wesley <tom@×××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] devleopment sources are no longer 'development' - example
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 20:11:46
1 On Wednesday 25 August 2004 21:05, Stephen P. Becker wrote:
2 > I think that precedent has already been set with linux26-headers
3 > unfortunately.
6 Doesn't mean it shouldn't be reversed...
7
8 > -Steve
9 >
10 > Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
11 > > On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 12:40:20 -0700 Greg KH <gregkh@g.o> wrote:
12 > > | > gentoo-sources24
13 > > | > gentoo-sources26
14 > > |
15 > > | I don't have a problem with this, but the dependancy stuff might not
16 > > | work out properly for some odd kernel-based userspace packages.
17 > > |
18 > > | Anyone object to this?
19 > >
20 > > Well, it's pretty nasty... Part of the idea of SLOTs is that we never
21 > > need to include version numbers in packages... In fact our docs [1] even
22 > >
23 > > say:
24 > >>Most distributions and ports systems tend to have a "freetype" package
25 > >>for freetype 1.x and "freetype2" for 2.x. We consider this approach a
26 > >>sign of a fundamentally broken package management system.
27 > >
28 > > Do we really want to admit that our package manager is broken?
29 > >
30 > > [1]: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/portage-manual.xml
34 Tom Wesley <tom@×××××.org>