From: Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo-Status
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 14:50:21
1 Simon Stelling wrote:
2 > Lance Albertson wrote:
3 >> Frankly, the attitude of a lot devs lately towards infra
4 >> have made many of us not want to communicate what we're doing. If we're
5 >
6 > I can understand that, partly. But that won't help anyone. Assuming
7 > you're not thinking *nobody* outside infra does respect you, try to
8 > write the status report for those who you feel respected by. It will
9 > even make those happy who didn't respect you and maybe even make them
10 > respect you again because they see that a genuine effort is made to
11 > solve a problem that buggers them.
12
13 I'll see about sending an email in the next few days. Basically, we're
14 making progress on the bugzie end.
15
16 >> not getting respected by you, then why should we respect you back? At
17 >> least for me personally, I don't hold any personal grudges against
18 >> anyone unless you stop respecting the group and/or me. Personally, I
19 >> think the larger problem in Gentoo itself is the attitudes of many
20 >> developers. Communication aside, it means nothing if we can't deal with
21 >> each other in a semi-professional manner. It seems like mini-flame
22 >> explosions on irc/email have happened more frequently in the last few
23 >> months. This is just going to make the group implode if nothing is done
24 >> about it.
25 >
26 > Respect is something that should be applied unconditionally, in my
27 > opinion. The "you don't so I won't" attitude gets us nowhere.
30 I generally try to do that, but after the 10th time the person doesn't
31 respect you and demands things from you, its kind of hard to keep that
32 mentality.
35 Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
36 Gentoo Infrastructure | Operations Manager
37
38 ---
39 GPG Public Key: <http://www.ramereth.net/lance.asc>
40 Key fingerprint: 0423 92F3 544A 1282 5AB1 4D07 416F A15D 27F4 B742
41
42 ramereth/irc.freenode.net