From: Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] eclass-manpages are now versioned (snapshotted)
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2017 15:26:13
1 On 24/03/17 11:19 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > Hi, everyone.
3 >
4 > With a little delay I would like to announce that the eclass-manpages
5 > package is now properly versioned, starting this Tuesday. Most
6 > importantly, this means that users will no longer have to periodically
7 > rebuild the package in order to get the correct set of manpages --
8 > instead, the package will be upgraded in the regular motion.
9 >
10 > The versioned packages use archived snapshots of eclass files. Those who
11 > prefer the old mechanism can decide to unmask (via
12 > package.accept_keywords) the live ebuild (-9999*).
13 >
14 > While at it, I would like to encourage developers to create new
15 > snapshots and bump the package themselves whenever they commit eclass
16 > changes that could require updating the documentation. The ready command
17 > set is provided in the ebuild. For completeness, I will paste it here:
18 >
19 > mkdir eclass-manpages-$(date +%Y%m%d)
20 > cp "$(portageq get_repo_path / gentoo)"/eclass/*.eclass eclass-manpages-$(date +%Y%m%d)/
21 > tar -cf eclass-manpages-$(date +%Y%m%d).tar eclass-manpages-$(date +%Y%m%d)
22 > xz -9e eclass-manpages-$(date +%Y%m%d).tar
23 > scp eclass-manpages-$(date +%Y%m%d).tar.xz dev.gentoo.org:public_html/dist/
24 >
25 > Then copy the ebuild and update your name in SRC_URI ;-).
28 This looks great!
29
30 To help manage this a little bit, what are people's thoughts on having
31 the generation be a bit more automated? I'm thinking running the
32 generator once per day, comparing the result against the previous
33 day's result (and aborting if it's the same), and them bumping the
34 package that way?
35
36 Having a single point of generation would prevent two people doing it
37 at the same time because of changes to different eclasses.. Not that
38 eclasses change -that- much, but..