From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Monthly Gentoo Council Reminder for January
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2006 11:11:43
1 Patrick Lauer posted <1136238763.23404.171.camel@localhost>, excerpted
2 below, on Mon, 02 Jan 2006 22:52:43 +0100:
3
4 Lance Albertson wrote:
5 >> When I say "we have a niche we're perfect at",
6 >> I'm mainly referring to the source-based nature of our OS. There isn't
7 >> another distro out there that does it as well as us and we should
8 >> improve on that fact. Let the other distros get better at being
9 >> binary-based.
10
11 > Why would one prevent the other from happening?
12 > Maybe someone finds an elegant way for "Binary Gentoo" ... should we
13 > stop that person because it conflicts with a weird mission statement?
14
15 I believe that's where the differing opinions begin to come in. Here's
16 mine. I don't believe that Gentoo, /as/ /Gentoo/, will ever be very
17 successful as an Enterprise distribution, and I don't think that it can
18 every be very successful as a binary distribution, either. The things
19 that make us, that is Gentoo, unique, and the best in our area, by
20 definition are the /same/ sort of things that make a relatively poor
21 enterprise or binary distribution.
22
23 I'm all for a /separate/ enterprise effort based on Gentoo, and likewise,
24 all for a /separate/ binary targeted distribution based on Gentoo.
25 However, the goals are sufficiently different that I don't believe either
26 one will work well /as/ Gentoo, or, in the event that it /does/ work well,
27 it will change Gentoo into that image, and Gentoo won't continue to fit
28 the current niche, a relatively fresh "source based" distribution for
29 those who aren't afraid to take responsibility for managing their systems,
30 as well as it does.
31
32 What I expect will happen if we try, is that we won't be the sort of best
33 of genre solution in those other areas, that makes Gentoo what it is today
34 within its own "admin's source based distribution". At the same time,
35 splitting our efforts in that direction will end up weakening the Gentoo
36 we all know and love.
37
38 Rather, I'd prefer an independent distribution, Gentoo based is great,
39 some devs doing both is great, to do the enterprise stuff. Same with the
40 binary. There are of course already several smaller Gentoo based
41 mini-distributions, and I think that's the way to go. Doing it that way
42 will prevent fuzzing up our image and our drive, allowing us to continue
43 to be the best at what we are good at, while others get to focus on the
44 stuff they can be good at. Some devs will naturally be attracted to one
45 or the other -- not a problem. Others will find they can spend time on
46 both (or all three) projects and drive up personal productivity, much as
47 Greg KH seems to thrive on all his projects, managing to be more
48 productive on all of them than many devoting all their time to the
49 project. Again, that shouldn't be a problem, for those that can
50 effectively handle it, and for those that can't, well, it's a volunteer
51 situation, and as such, a natural solution tends to appear.
56 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
57 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
61 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list