From: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Tightening EAPI rules
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2014 15:33:37
1 On 02/10/2014 09:35 AM, Tom Wijsman wrote:
2 >> one and possibly needed features. You will connect the question of
3 >> >"are we ready to deprecate X" with the question "we need to introduce
4 >> >Y for needed features a, b and c."
5 > It is hard to grasp for me for when features from a newer EAPI would
6 > delay the migration, do you have an example?
9 That's not what i mean. It is possible that we may want the newer EAPI
10 for the features it brings but be as yet unwilling to deprecated the
11 older EAPI for stability reasons. Even if the newer EAPI is a proper
12 superset of the older, hidden implementation changes have not been
13 tested well and we might want to be more caution about deprecating our
14 older yet very stable EAPI. EAPI=4 is very stable right now. I have
15 more confidence in it that 5 simply because of the coverage and testing
16 its gotten.
19 Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
20 Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
21 E-Mail : blueness@g.o
22 GnuPG FP : 1FED FAD9 D82C 52A5 3BAB DC79 9384 FA6E F52D 4BBA
23 GnuPG ID : F52D4BBA