From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: CONFIG_CHECK_FATAL, making CONFIG_CHECKS fatal by default
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 12:50:38
1 On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 7:32 AM, Fabio Erculiani <lxnay@g.o> wrote:
2 > I hope this is going to be binary package manager friendly.
3 > In Sabayon for instance, kernel sources are not even installed and at
4 > the same time, /proc/config.gz may not even be available.
5 > There were some corner cases in where pkg_setup failed because this
6 > kernel config check stuff was trying to be "smarter" than the user.
7
8 Another issue with this sort of thing is that the kernel in
9 /usr/src/linux might not be the kernel that is running, and the kernel
10 that is running might not be the kernel that is running upon the next
11 boot.
12
13 I think warnings just make sense, but if we're going to make them
14 fatal then at least print out instructions on how to disable them. I
15 suspect that a large number of users will end up disabling config
16 checks though, in which case this feature will provide a false sense
17 of security.
18
19 If an upgrade could make a user's system unbootable then we should
20 really be warning them about it BEFORE they merge the package. A news
21 item before the change is committed to portage would be more
22 appropriate. I don't want a fatal error during pkg_setup that isn't
23 fatal for 90% of our users because of all the false alarms to be an
24 excuse for developers to put the blame on the user. That amounts to
25 telling our users that if they don't enable some make.conf option then
26 half of the Gentoo devs will cause their builds to break randomly, and
27 if they do enable it the other half of the Gentoo devs will cause
28 their systems to not boot.
29
30 Rich