From: Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>
To: Chris Bainbridge <c.j.bainbridge@×××××.uk>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Redux: 2004.1 will not include a secure portage.
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 20:38:28
1 > Is it really that simple? And to fix it is so easy.. just keep a list of
2 > people allowed to modify each directory. Developers sign, users check.
3
4 We have a list of people allowed to modify each directory: every dev!
5 That's by design, it is quite deliberate, and the reasons are both trust
6 and efficiency. That trust is one of the key things that makes working
7 on Gentoo so much fun, and anything that would destroy that trust is not
8 something that will be considered lightly.
9
10 My (admittedly very naive) view about this thread is that most people
11 are unlikely to cause damage if it would be easy to trace the damage
12 back to the individual, so our devs are not likely to be the main source
13 of compromise. Thus, using gpg to remove a remote compromise threat
14 does seem quite reasonable to me.
15
16 All that said, this topic makes my brain hurt rather badly, so I'm
17 leaving the details up to the security team who eat and breathe this stuff.
18
19 -g2boojum-